Donations Appreciated

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August 22 - Remote Blogging Continues

Starting Over? - 
In my absence, volunteers are sending photos. My job is to figure out what is happening in the photo, then put some intelligible(?) words around it to explain how this operation brings us ever nearer to completing the project.
When I opened the email with this picture I was startled a bit. Does this depict a project reboot?

With the next picture it is clear that the grading is going on around the building, and not a building restart.




















Although it may resemble a team of migrant field workers, it is actually congregation members manually smoothing the ground, preparing for sod.
The electronic call went out on the Elk River Groupme chat site, "Laying sod. All qualified bodies come to the church. Qualifications: You must be able to fog a glass."
I am not certain about the message but is was something like that. And out they came. All sizes and ages.
As the work progressed, the call around the yard was echoed: "Remember, green side up."
While on the back corner of the building, Farmer Paul supervised Joe, who appeared to be measuring the building as if to fit it with a skirt and he needed the proper hemline height. Or he may have been measuring something else, I can't be sure.


















Inside the Building - 


Matt, who so diligently taped all those drywall seams now feels the need to cover up his previous efforts. At least now, he is using a higher productivity tool. The roller covers a much greater area than the taping knife.

Bob and Loren busy themselves machining boards. I inquired from the photographer about the ultimate destination of said wood pieces. Door jams, I was told. Like peanut butter and door jam, I asked. No. Spell the word correctly, DOOR JAMBS. Oh well, technical construction terms get me again.
























New Pews, (New to Us) -
The pews were purchased from a church in St. Paul and transported to Nowthen as previously reported. Naturally, the first thing that must be done with a churchful of pews is to disassemble them.
The fun part of remote blogging is trying to recognize people I know when I can't see faces. My guess is this is Justin, but I am not certain. I do not recognize the cap.

Workmen of all ages diligently remove screws and set the individual pieces free. Blake (one I recognize - he is my grandson) offers his assistance. I hope the folks know how to re-assemble these pieces after they are refinished.


Sam, closely monitored by design committee members (coincidentally his wife and in-laws) tests stain colors. I think they want to have the color compatible with the walnut trim to be installed in the church. I am confident that Sam will find the right color.




No comments:

Post a Comment