Donations Appreciated

Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 29 - Doors, Boiler and Lunch

Doors, Hanging and In-Process - 
Several exterior doors are installed but not yet operational. They are all wired shut with size large "Do Not Use" signs plastered on the face, so I assume they are not yet operational. Tempted though I was to see if they worked, I resisted and let the doors rest in peace.














Not all the doors are hanging yet. The frame for the main entrance is assembled and on Thursday evening was in quiet repose, propped against the back wall.









On Saturday, Sam was diligently working to install the frame in its final resting place. Sam demonstrated his dexterity by using both a tape measure and a level while standing on a step ladder. I was duly impressed as I dare not ascend such a device without digging my fingertips into the side supports of the ladder. Since this uses up both of my available hands, I am not then able to grip either the tape or the level.  I tend to follow the advice an uncle of mine often gave. "A good eye is better than a bad rule." Well, better Sam than me for this job.



Boilers - 

Thursday evening was cold. Very cold. It was hard to remember that April was coming to a close and May nearly here. It felt rather more like November with the wind racing around the outside and then through the openings in the building. So it seemed like a good time to get the lowdown on the boiler system that will heat the floor and provide hot water for the sinks.
Mark, hiding deep in the hoodie, was giving his best effort to educate the chronicler. If I understood correctly, we will have three boilers on site. Due to some kind of license restrictions, only one boiler at a time will be in service. A second will be available as a standby if needed, and will be put into service when it is time for maintenance on the first unit. The third is to be used for parts if either of the first two blows up.
He added that this is not a direct fired boiler since the fire does not heat the fresh water reservoir. Rather, the fire heats water that is racing through copper tubes that wind through the fresh water tank and then go off to warm our toes through the concrete floor. When that job is done, the tired out, calorie-drained fluid returns to the boiler to get fired up so it can do it all over again.

He further noted that this is a TriangleTube system, which I could have learned on my own had I read the tag on the boiler earlier.

As I have aged, I notice that my memory may be slipping a bit but my fortified imagination is able to fill in any missed data. It is possible that Mark did not say this stuff exactly, but this is the best I remember it.
The Optional Porch - 
The optional porch is shifting from 'optional' to 'here and now'. Thursday evening I saw this plan on the wall, all marked up with red ink. I remember from my school days that when I got a paper back from the teacher with this much red ink, I knew I had to do the work over. That does not seem to be the case here. Instead the red ink appears to be a code that informs the insiders of the construction trade how to assemble said porch. I am trying to learn the jargon to become an insider but am still baffled a bit  by 'BEAR ROOF JOISTS ON BRG WALL, LAP W/ROOF TRUSSES & NAIL W/ 8-10 d x 3" NAILS'. I just need to get the bear out of the woods and the trusses out of hernia protection and I think I will succeed in the construction trade.

One thing I do understand is that Mark brought some concrete mix on Thursday and on Saturday Brent converted the contents into piers that will hold up the roof support posts.







And I have pictures to show the progress.















Lunch - 
Another thing I understand about construction is that about noon on Saturday the lunch wagon shows up. I try schedule my visit so I just happen to be there about this time.
There are workers in various stations both inside and outside the building, some seemingly out of earshot, but when the call for lunch sounds, they all appear in short order. Janelle brought the hot meal Saturday.

The large temporary table in the sanctuary, built for assembling metal door frames, on Saturday served as the community lunch table. I hope the seat that Mark and Brent are using is not 'Pew Concept 2.0'

The younger, heartier workers enjoyed the outdoor picnic area, which also serves as Sam's trailer.

















And while the majority of the work force used the large, community table, Merja and Mark enjoyed a quiet, private meal in the dining area.

No comments:

Post a Comment